Friday, April 15, 2022

STEAK: ACUTE MANIA
Full Review

If you check in on this blog regularly or even intermittently, you understand that my version of a "full review" is nothing like the lengthy flowing treatises you'll find on other sites, making frequent use of descriptive words such as luscious, lysergic and lascivious.  Those reviews are often quite good, and their writers are more accomplished than me, and I don't have the time or ability to compete with them, so I keep it short and sweet.  Also, my main goal here is to spread the word on some awesome underground heavy rock music that I really enjoy.  I try to steer a little more traffic towards artists I like so they'll keep making more great music.  

Now, after I just went on a tangent to say that I don't really go off on tangents, here's my review of the new Steak release:

"Acute Mania" shows a huge evolution in Steak's songwriting since 2017's "No God To Save".  That album featured a more openly aggressive, in-your-face style of writing, reminding me at times of Orange Goblin.  Acute Mania features more polished songs full of subtle complexities, sounding very radio friendly without being commercial, with a sneaky heaviness.  

Now is the part where I stop telling you what I hear, and encourage you to listen for yourself.

Here is one of my very favorites, called "Frequencies".  I think it showcases a lot of the new ground this band has covered. 

And here's "Ancestors", with a video made up of footage from a 2019 movie called "Mad Lord: Samurai of  1000 Deaths", for which Steak wrote the entire soundtrack.


There's also a comic.  You can find the comic, the movie and the album, all right here.

Steak are from England.   They are:
Sammy: Drums
Reece: Guitar
Cam: Bass
Kippa: Vocals
Acute Mania features guest vocals from Chantal Brown, and another guest artist named Tom Cameron (who I can find no information on)

That's all for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment