Saturday, January 15, 2022


 2022, FIRST ULTRA REVIEW


Blue Oyster Cult may be the band I have listened to the most over the years, despite my obsession with so many other great bands.  It's just that every BOC album took me a while to appreciate, but then eventually took root in my brain, to the point where I'd go weeks without listening to another album. When I saw that Ripple Music was compiling a tribute album, I was quite excited.  Now that it's out, I claim it to be among the very best tribute albums ever recorded.  Each tune features top-rate musicians who clearly love the songs they are covering.  The amount of authenticity is gratifying, and the liberties taken keep it interesting.  The late Steve Hanford, aka "Thee Slayer Hippy" is involved in much of this album (5 of the 13 tracks I think), and his last efforts show his versatility as a drummer, and are monumental achievements.

Here are two that go nicely together despite how different they are:
(Steve plays on Tattoo Vampire but not Wings Wetted Down)



The guitar soloing on Wings Wetted Down, and the way Mondo Generator and Thee Slayer Hippy recognized the aggressiveness of Tattoo Vampire are worth noting.

Rest in peace, Steve Hanford (aka Thee Slayer Hippy)

Up next week:
new Mississippi Bones

Until then...
-ULTRA 



No comments:

Post a Comment