Saturday, May 4, 2019

THE WELL: DEATH AND CONSOLATION

Every Bit As Good As I Had Hoped

I can't at the moment think of another band whose first three albums were so perfect.  You've heard me gush about The Well before, and I'm gonna do it again.  The Well's songwriting is simultaneously sludgy and energetic, delivered with a bad-ass don't-give-a-shit vibe, and vocals that are Beatle-esque in a doomy sort of way.   And by the way, Ian is a guitar god on this album; truly inspired if you ask me.

Here is "Freedom Above".  First, Lisa and Jason masterfully develop and control the mood, making way for Ian and Lisa to lay down some of the most stunning vocals you've ever heard:


And for the second night in a row, I'm posting a tune that I think will end up as one of the year's greatest, "Act II":


The Well sit in the stratosphere of groundbreaking Texas rock trios, including the legendary
 ZZ Top, King's X and Wo Fat.

The Well are:
Ian Graham: Guitar, Vocals
Lisa Alley: Bass, Vocals
Jason Sullivan: Drums





"Cup of Peace" is another standout tune, but its title made me think of this: 


In a time when much of the world has forsaken rock and roll, bands like The Well are proof that rock is as good as it's ever been.  Please spread the word on this album, because I need The Well to do a nationwide tour and make it to Eastern Massachusetts.

-ULTRA



No comments:

Post a Comment