Friday, January 18, 2019


STONER ROCK UP YOUR ASS
2018's Fourth Quarter Still Getting My Attention

I'm realizing I just can't give these three albums enough listens.  All three were in my Best of 2018 September - December playlist, yet I find myself not even diving much into our current month's music because I keep playing these three albums.  What I do here is share what I love, so tonight I present a slight flashback, with a stop at each of the last three months.

October:
THE NECROMANCERS:   "OF BLOOD AND WINE"
Masterfully written, intricate and heavy, this album has it all.  The Necromancers have released their second classic in as many years.  This one will stand among the best of the decade, not just the year.  Hear for yourself.  Here's "Secular Lord": 

Now the album's opening track, "Join The Dead Ones":

The Necromancers (from Poitiers, France) are:
Tom - Vocals & Guitar
Rob - Lead Guitar
Simon - Bass
Ben - Drums

November:

RIFFLORD: "7 CREMATION GROUND / MEDITATION" 
Who's making America great again?  RIFFLORD is.  On November 1st, Rifflord swaggered onto the scene as the year's alpha band.  Living up to its name in a big way, this group which claims ties to South Dakota, Minnesota and Texas, lays down a real unique mix of rock, country and doom, with authority.  Can't emphasize enough what a pleasant surprise this album is.
The second track is where you begin to understand how versatile the band members are.  Here is "Dead Flower Child":

Now "Thunder Rider Cremation Ground / Meditation".  
At no point does it ever fail to tear it up.

RIFFLORD is:

December:

WIZARD MUST DIE: "IN THE LAND OF THE DEAD TURTLES"

Innovative, complex, sprawling heaviness is what you'll get, with enough variety to keep you on the edge of your seat for the entire 35 minutes and 48 seconds.  These seven tracks are great individually, but are a true masterpiece when listened to as one complete work.  Close your eyes and let your imagination run wild while this album plays, and I'm sure it will leave a lasting impression.  You can see where to find it if you want to check out the whole thing, but to lure you there, I recommend these two:
"From Their Blood To The Sea":

Now, "Empty Shell".  Especially between the 2 and 3 minute marks, I feel like doing a Wayne and Garth and shouting "I'm not worthy":

While Wizard Must Die does not sound like Tool, I'd say they are kindred spirits, and that there are some parallels in their music.
Wizard Must Die are from Lyon, France, and are:

Enguerrand Dumas: bass and backing vocals 
Florent Michaud: guitar and lead vocal 
Christophe Hogommat: drums 

This is the only picture I could find of the three together.  I quote their Facebook page:

"Who cares who we are ?
Just listen to Dude ! "

Awesome.
(period intentional)

You could probably create a playlist entirely made up of Bandcamp tunes in any genre that would rival any other set of tunes, but this is especially true for Stoner Rock.  
Will be gushing about how good John Garcia's new album is  soon.  
Until then
-ULTRA

No comments:

Post a Comment