Friday, January 25, 2019

JOHN GARCIA AND THE BAND OF GOLD
Signature Album

When I first heard John Garcia in Kyuss, I saw a parallel between John and James Hetfield.  I loved them because they each were integral parts to such groundbreaking, original albums.  At the same time, I felt they were both unpolished and limited in versatility.  I actually wondered if Josh left Kyuss because he thought John's voice was limiting.

But since Kyuss, as he progressed from Slo Burn to Unida to Hermano, Vista Chino and then "solo" (it's really only solo if you're the only musician on the album, right?), I feel like John and his bandmates have gotten progressively better at utilizing his abilities and talents, understanding what the coolest aspects of his voice are.  While James Hetfield proceeded to destroy his already limited voice, John Garcia has worked harder and harder in my opinion, and has managed to produce some of the best rock albums of this era.

"John Garcia And The Band Of Gold" is the best name there could have been for this album, because the band John's put together on this album is a home run in the bottom of the ninth.  
Check out "Don't Even Think About It":
"Kentucky II":
Somehow, a guy who I first viewed as limited has been involved in nothing but great albums, and for me this is his best to date.  
Can't get any info on who's in the band, having purchased the digital version.  Whoever they are, I am expecting this one on my 2019 top ten list.  There's not a song on it that you shouldn't check out.  

Happy Friday
-ULTRA

No comments:

Post a Comment