Sunday, December 26, 2021

 

TOP TEN TUNES OF 2021

These are my choices for top ten underground rock tunes of 2021, in no particular order, with the exception that I like to finish my top ten tunes lists with my number one track.  I like the way this playlist flows, and hope you do too.  Volume recommended.


Track List:

10)    "Bean King" by Kadabra: One of the catchiest songs on an album that will remind you of Asteroid and Colour Haze, among others

9)    "Not Fragile/Free Wheelin'" by Clouds Taste Satanic: Not written this year, but this 2021 medley of two BTO classics is definitely one of the best tracks released this year

8)    "Bouncing Rick" by Melvins: There are several tunes on this album that are worthy of the year's top ten list, but I chose this one

7)    "Edge of Glory" by Dirty Pagans: It's got a vibe of the most aggressive 1980's metal, and is relentless and triumphant

6)    "Death That Never Dies" by Dunbarrow: Dunbarrow has taken what the band Witchcraft started, and ascended to the next level.  Every tune on this album is great, but this is my favorite

5)    "Siren Song" by Jerry Cantrell: Yet another tune to get stuck in your head, from one of the greatest songwriters of our time

4)    "Mission From God" by Snail: Every Snail album so far has been good for a top ten song of the year, and that tradition continues

3)    "Teardrinker" by Mastodon: I have changed my favorite from this album a few times and may do so again, but at least one of them belongs on this list

2)    "Burning" by King Buffalo: King Buffalo has really turned a corner and taken their songwriting to the next level; This tune is a prime example

1)    "Fill My Mouth" by Goat: There was never any doubt that this would be my favorite track of the year, from the first time I heard it.  Friends with varied musical tastes have told me they like this one.


Coming soon:  top 20 albums of the year, in two installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment