Thursday, October 7, 2021

HMT Concert Review - Boston Music Supports One of it's Own


The Julie Duffy Benefit Concert

Boston shows up for one of it's own.


Oct. 2nd, 2021
Paradise Rock Club

Saturday was the second night of a rock double header at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston. The show was organized to benefit former WBCN Producer, Julie Duffy. Julie was struck with a life threatening health emergency in 2020. The Boston music scene responded with an auction and a two nights of live music featuring some of the most revered Boston Hardcore and Rock bands of the last twenty years.

Blaze Pizza

Saturday was my first show since this pandemic. I took all the Covid era concert going precautions. I wore a mask, socially distanced and presented my vaccination card at the door. Whatever your politics are, if you want to see your favorite band(s), you grow a set of balls and do what you have to do. Or stay home and gripe about it. The night would be long, my legs would be tired and the proximity of the stage from myself just went to show I'm officially concert old at 46.

The main band that cajoled me out of my humble cottage and trek an hour plus minutes away was SAM BLACK CHURCH. SBC has only played live a half dozen times since 2007. I attempted to order tickets a few months back when the presale was announced. I quickly learned that the covid era of ticket buying is extremely tricky. You can't wait for tickets to sell on the "regular sale" date when pre-sale tickets get scooped up within seconds. SO after a failed first day presale attempt and a complete sellout, the organizers were cool enough to book a second date the night after.

Again, the second presale sold out just as quickly but somehow I was able to snag a pair. I was in. 

Fans Buying Merch

So back to the show. Between becoming a recluse over the past 18 months and not that familiar with driving through Boston after all these years, I managed to not talk myself out of going to the show. The comfort of my own place and falling down the rabbit hole of true crime conspiracies often will railroad my plans to do anything past a thirty minute drive these days. The pull of seeing not only SBC but also TREE, another revered 90's local legend was too strong, the internet sleuthing would have to wait.

I left my humble abode with a lot of leeway(not the band). The Paradise Rock Club is a stone's throw away from Boston University. Due to a graduation on the weekend, parking was limited and thankfully one of their staff pointed me in the right direction. Walking along the sidewalk en route to the club I passed by a conversation between SBC's Ben Crandall and Tree's lead vocalist Dave. I flashed a peace sign at them and made my way to Blaze pizza for a delicious pepperoni pizza.

I noticed a contingent of fans adorned with the Benefit shirt they sold on Night One. While I normally follow the sacred rule of not rocking the band I'm going to see's merch at their show, it was cool to see fans come back the second night. 

As I stepped into line I did a quick overview of the age group standing there. All wore black, most were males in their 40's or early 50's and we were all the talk of the town as the college age kids had to walk around us to exit the Goodwill. I mean this Goodwill looked like an urban outfitters and our "gruff" exteriors stuck out like a sore thumb. Security quickly made it's way through the short line and checked our "Jab" cards. Then we were given a once over at security and our tickets were scanned.

Duncan Wilder Johnson

Once inside, I grabbed some merch. Given that it was the second night of a double header I wasn't going to take a chance on larger sizes selling out. For the next five plus hours I'd be draping my wares off my belt loop like a frontier fur tradesman showcasing his pelts. 

A few of my longtime friends from western mass came to the show. I took them up on their offer to hang out on the balcony after several minutes of listening to strangers on the dance floor discussing the latest Genesis tour set list. Seriously, they were debating the relevance of Peter Gabriel's songs being a part of the band's current playlist. I digress.

Duncan Wilder Johnson, a local jack of all trades opened the show performing a spoken word set. Duncan produced the Sam Black Church Documentary a few years back and was heavily embedded with the band. If anyone has stories, Duncan definitely has them. He went on to recount some hilarious stories about Sam Black Church crashing an open bar and Tree's lead vocalist camping at Woodstock. All of his stories came back around to honoring the guest of the night, Julie Duffy. 

Jim Weeks

Next up, Jim Weeks performed a solid solo acoustic set of songs about heartbreak and hard times. The standouts of the night were his rendition of Bad Company's "Seagull" and an original called "Adderall".

Next up, a well dressed Chris Trapper formerly of the Pushstars played a number of  his own original tunes. Some of his solo work has been heard on movie soundtracks. He even name dropped one of the songs he performed being in a recent Pierce Brosnan movie. I wasn't familiar with Chris's playing and while it wasn't really my "cup o' tea", he had the few ladies in the crowd swooning. His attempts at call and repeat kind of fell flat but at least he was having fun.

Heretix popped up on stage and immediately changed the vibe of the night. A very mid to late 90's, almost grunge sound that was edgy and familiar. The crowd really responded to the performance and it set the tone for the rest of the night.

Second Night Crowd

Scratch (Mean Old) ripped through their set with supreme confidence. I was extremely impressed with the guitarist who they announced was filling in. He had total command and control of his corner of the stage. The band played on all cylinders and were ready to play one more tune before they got the "lights" to dismantle their gear. Big props for this set.

There was a brief pause in the musical performances. A video presentation detailing the significance of the Ben's BC RICH was played for the crowd. He was auctioning off THE guitar that he created much of SBC's signature sound with. The auction was at $500 before the Sam Black Church set and would close out at a respectable $3500 once they left the stage. (A steal) Julie Duffy came up on stage and explained how every band she had on her dream list accepted her invitation. She was grateful and humbled by the generosity of bands and fans alike. This night was for her and as a fan it was a really nice thing to be a part of.

Now it was time for Sam Black Church!

Scratch
Back in 94 or 95, I attended my first show at Club Babyhead and SBC were the headliners. Jet and company cemented my love for live music and raised the bar for what I expected from live musicians going forward. Coming off a roof raising first night, SBC were in fine form and showed no "ring rust" for round two. The set boasted some of my favorite SBC tunes including "Infernal Machine, "Den of Inequity" and "We Got The Youth". Despite (in spite of?) the Paradise Rock Club's stage size, Lead vocalist Jesse "Jet" Crandall's body spent a good portion of time in the air and on top of the hand's of pit goers. Jet's body literally vibrated with excitement.  Ben put the "chef's kiss" on that axe he auctioned off with an absolute killer performance. He was definitely feeling the weight of the moment while playing those signature riffs that had been filling the ears of Boston hardcore kids for thirty plus years.  The band left the crowd chanting for more. Sam Black Church has always been a blast furnace of a band and while other bands from their era have taken half measures, SBC can still break drums(ear drums too) mid set. Do yourself a favor, listen to Sam Black Church, you'll be better for it.

Tree
Stompbox followed SBC with a really fun set. Stompbox frontman, Erich, looked like a character. Wearing a loose fitting and conservative outfit topped with a driver's cap, his wiry frame trounced across the stage floor. He was loose and wild. He made his way into the crowd, high fiving and talking with the crowd. He was happy to be on stage. He lived for that moment. He apologized for missing the start of one song because he was having too much fun. In one endearing moment he pointed to Julie and thanked her being the reason the band was talking again. I paraphrase "we weren't even talking, he's taking my calls now". If there was one band I was most surprised and happy to see, I'd have to say it was Stompbox. They showcased the same spirit that many of the bands I saw in the 90's possessed. They lived to play, to perform and were cool as shit with the fans.

Jet (SBC) trying to eat

Closing out the night, the mighty TREE hit the stage with a six pack to boot. Frontman Dave looked like he was ready for a fight. It had been at least twenty years since I had first seen the band and they didn't disappoint. The band cut through some cobwebs early and tore through all their most well known tunes. Watching the crowd sing along to every chorus (especially on Surf Aids) and mosh so hard made me jealous. My mosh dance card has been filled for several years. (I was reminded of it quickly during a Phil Anselmo and the Illegal show a few years ago. I fell down dancing and could not get up.) It was time to head my old ass home and I made my way down to the floor to take some photos. Gone was the urge to storm the stage or jump into the pit. Now I was just happy to be a part of the crowd looking on. As I took a turn down the hallway towards the bathroom I peeped Jet holding a slice of pizza. He was stopped along the way a few times as the cheese on his "za" was slowly cooling. He gave everyone his attention just like that first show I attended back in 94 or 95. Long live Boston Hardcore, especially SBC and Julie Duffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment