Saturday, August 8, 2020

R.I.P. :    DEAD END

Make Room For Fresh Doom

When you mention the doom genre, people generally think of slow, plodding music with heavily distorted, down-tuned guitars.  Last weekend I reviewed Ten Foot Giant's new album, which defies this stereotype, and this weekend I am here to report on an album which I think will be equally special.  

I've spent the last week listening to R.I.P.'s last album, "Street Reaper", and have developed a strong appreciation for this band from Portland, Oregon (home of the Wipers!).

R.I.P. is putting their own spin on the genre, and revealing bits and pieces of all the great rock they've grown up listening to with each and every tune.  

While the stereotypical doom album is full of songs that sound similar to each other, "Street Reaper" offers something different with each song, and I expect nothing different from "Dead End".  Check out the pre-released track, "Out Of Time" and see what you think:



Check out this band on Bandcamp, and you'll see that everyone is saying the same thing - that R.I.P. is reinventing the doom genre.  There's a reason for this, and I cannot wait to hear the rest of this album.

R.I.P. are:

Jon Mullet: Bass
Willie D: Drums
Angel Martinez: Guitars
Fuzz: Vocals


I don't know if coronavirus has done this to me, but my posts this year have been way more doom-heavy (R.I.P., Ten Foot Wizard, Dopesmoker, Red Mesa, Earthdiver, Lucifungus, Swamplord) than in years past 

Let's keep it heavy, and I'll catch you next weekend!
-ULTRA


No comments:

Post a Comment