Monday, August 31, 2020

Cheap Clout's new EP "Africans in America" - Afro Punk




CHEAP CLOUT - AFRICANS IN AMERICA

Cheap Clout are an experimental, loop based Afro-Punk group. They hail from Cleveland, Ohio. The band was started and produced by an instrumentalist, Chiobi. Having only personally listened to a small selection of Afro Punk groups over the years, I was interested in checking out this EP. I'm always looking for something fresh and a style I'm not completely familiar with.

I tossed on their latest "Africans In America" EP(find it on Spotify) and enjoyed it's laid back vibes.
The vocalist has a delivery that reminds me of a cross between Foster the People's Mark Foster and Third Eye Blind's Stephan_Jenkins. Sonically the EP has a nice mix of distortion and garage punk riffage. There is nothing overly excessive. It's an easier listen than I expected. Punk comes in many forms. This feels like a more radio friendly style of punk.

As spotify is known to do, the album ended and one of Cheap Clout's Quarantine Demo songs came on. I was pleasantly surprised with the contrast between the sounds of the EP and the session songs. If you dig the latest EP, give their other tracks a listen as well.


1 comment:

  1. Just checked it out and...Wow. really love the layered sound and tight grooves. I'm heading to Spotify to dig deeper into Cheap Clout. Thanks for turning me on to this one!!

    ReplyDelete