Sunday, June 21, 2020

UNDER THE RADAR:
CRYSTAL FAIRY: Self-Titled Album

Album art and band name don't give off a heavy vibe?  Well just listen.  This is over 3 years old, but  I just found it (hence the phrase "under the radar").  Who is this band?  Only Buzz and Dale from the Melvins, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, and a singer by the name of Teresa Suárez Cosío, a.k.a. Teri Gender Bender.  If you're like me and never heard this, let me tell you it's probably the best rock album you've never heard of.  Truly inspired stuff, this foursome really took this project seriously and seemed to enjoy what they were doing.   I consider Omar Rodriguez Lopez to be one of the most original and creative guitar players ever, but he plays bass on this album and really just subtly enhances the genius that Buzz and Dale are laying down.  Teri's voice keeps it lively, and she is the finishing touch on a truly unique heavy sound.    Every song is great on this album, but here are a couple of my favorites, "Bent Teeth" and "Secret Agent Rat":





Crystal Fairy are:

This album deserved critical acclaim, and I'm going to make it my mission to expose as many people to it as I can.  Hope you will too.  That's all!

-ULTRA



No comments:

Post a Comment