Friday, May 1, 2020

RED MESA: The Path To The Deathless

TEN OUT OF TEN

Stoner doom does not get better than this.  Led Zeppelin really "leveled up" on their third album, and so has Red Mesa.  "The Path To The Deathless delivers on so many levels.  
The title track, "The Path To The Deathless" starts off sounding like a combination of Blind Dog and Sleep, but then evolves into something more.  The solo that begins around 4:42 and the all-encompassing heaviness that ensues really grabs me.  Then another guitar solo to write home about at 5:48.  



The other pre-released track is the album opener, called  "Ghost Bell":  Red Mesa's affinity for Maryland-style doom is evident here; great opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di39CKB1Y7A

Speaking of Maryland doom, my favorite track, "Desert Moon", features Dave Sherman (singer for Earthride and bass player/singer for Spirit Caravan).  
"Disharmonious Unlife" features Wino (guitar player/singer for Spirit Caravan and countless other bands)  

Red Mesa was kind enough share the rest of the album with us, and I can tell you it's special.  The tune "Death I Am" shows the band's versatility by breaking the mold of the rest of the album, and is the perfect song for the country music fan who secretly craves something heavier.  

Red Mesa is from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and are:
Brad Frye: Guitar/Lead Vocals
Alex Cantwell: Bass/Backing Vocals
Roman Barham: Drums/Backing Vocals

When a band sends us music, if I'm indifferent I just don't comment.  In this case, I chose to purchase the album, and expect it to make my list of what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving.

-ULTRA

No comments:

Post a Comment