Tuesday, February 18, 2020

How Did I Miss This Last Year?

MAGIC CIRCLE: DEPARTED SOULS

Is It Too Late To Rewrite My Top 10???

Every time I put out a top ten list for a given year, there's some album that I find later on that makes me realize the list could have been better.  But the way I look at it is that you have to have some balls to put out a top 10 of anything list, and the ultimate value of the list is how many people you got to listen to something they wouldn't have.  
Anyhow, on to the review:

Local Legends Magic Circle Return With A Vengeance

Shortly after Grownman published my first post on this site back in 2014, I clicked on his "Listen Of The Day" and heard Magic Circle for the first time.  

I consider Magic Circle's self-titled album and "Journey Blind" to be 'desert island' albums; on my list of must-have's if I'm ever stranded on a desert island.  

Magic Circle embodies everything that was great about 1980's metal, without the cheese. 
 I will also stand by the statement that Brendan is one of the coolest metal singers there has ever been.  


Departed Souls is 'head and shoulders' Magic Circle's best album; their closing argument in the case of whether or not Magic Circle is heavy metal elite.  

Verdict: Guilty

This is a must own album for heavy metal and stoner rock fans alike.
Check out this example of how Magic Circle has evolved:

Magic Circle Is:

Chris Corry: Guitar
Justin De Tore: Bass
Dan Ducas: Guitar
Q: Drums
Brendan Radigan: Vocals

Much like Spinal Tap, Magic Circle goes to eleven.
You can buy Departed Souls here:

Be sure to enjoy the sweet keyboards on "Gone Again".  
Reminiscent of the sound John Paul Jones had on "No Quarter".


Over and Out
-ULTRA


No comments:

Post a Comment