Friday, June 23, 2017

MEXICAN CHILI FUNERAL PARTY
-MEXICAN WARRIORS' REVENGE-
What Just Happened?
As if the band name wasn't enigmatic enough, they are from Monza Italy (of course).  While I am claiming this as a stoner rock album, it really tries hard to defy categorization, with punk rock, traditional rock and just a hint of heavy metal fused together into one unique masterpiece.  I have to believe that these guys listened to a lot of Queens of the Stone Age, as well as the Desert Sessions albums, but these references are only a hint at what to expect ("Waiting For The Sun" makes me think of The Doors for a bit).

Here is the lead-off track, "Vespucci".  


Now check out "11":

True Story:  I had just found this band and purchased their 2014 self-titled album on Bandcamp in January, then got an e-mail in February saying that they had a new album out.  I liked the first one so much that I bought "Mexican Warriors" on principle.  It has taken me this long to figure out that I really like the album.  There is so much diversity here that it really took quite a few listens for me to develop an ear for what MCFP is trying to do.  

When you're ready:  Mexican Warriors' Revenge here.

If you haven't noticed, I have a soft spot for oddball heavy rock, and Mexican Chili Funeral Party scratches my itch for something different in a big way.  These guys are top-notch musicians with big ideas, and I hope you will give this album several listens.  
I will be back next weekend with a "smorgasbord" post; in the meantime, celebrate the death of Mexican Chili   -ULTRA

No comments:

Post a Comment