Monday, March 24, 2014

R.I.P. Dave Brockie aka Gwar's Oderus Urungus


David Murray Brockie 
(August 30, 1963 – March 23, 2014)

It's a sad day in the offices of Heavy Metal Textbooks as we receive word of Dave Brockie's passing. Anyone fortunate enough to meet or see Dave perform know that he brought a lot of much needed humor and personality to Heavy Metal. Gwar has garnered a following akin to bands like the Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd. Gwar shows were a must for any metal head and rock fan. I was finally able to see Gwar two years ago and it was a total blast. In my high school years, a group of us would gather around a television set watching Gwar VHS tapes and listening to mix tapes of their music. Dave and the band skewered politics and pop culture through the lens of outsiders looking in. I think many of my fellow metal heads could relate.


Fortunately, Gwar left behind a large catalog of music and videos that will continue to inspire future generations. No word on the band's plans going into the future. I personally could never see Gwar without their hilarious frontman. Right now we'll say our final goodbyes to a musician I've never heard one bad thing said about. Thanks Dave, we'll see you on the other side. Long Live Oderus!



No comments:

Post a Comment