Thriller a Metal Tribute
Reviewed by grownman
Reviewed by grownman
You read that right, there is an actual Michael Jackson tribute album performed by Heavy Metal musicians. When I first heard about this cd I figured it would be one of those random tribute albums chock full of obscure European metal bands and secondary members of old 80's hair metal.
If it was "one" of those tribute cds it wouldn't even receive a blurb on a legitimate metal news website. It would just somehow show up on some random torrent site or at best the bargain cd bin at a local closeout store. Sadly that is not the case but fear not because I'm here to bash the living hell out of a cd that lends tribute to the peter pan of soul rock formerly known as the KING OF POP.
Yeah if somehow you drank the punch and don't believe that Mr. Jackson was an overrated kid toucher who wasted any talent he may have had in his Motown youth on the finest in prescription sedatives and bad furniture during his adult years you may just want to go and pick this crap up.
If you're like me, yeah, you'll see where I'm going with this.
Yes, above is a video with the track for "THRILLER" covered by of all people and a (now) former hero of mine Testament's Chuck Billy. Obviously someone has kidnapped Chuck Billy and threatened him with a bag of hot nickels to the face in order to get him to do this garbage. But how the hell do you explain Iron Maiden's Paul Di'Anno's take on "BAD". Obviously some Pacific Rim sh*t is going on here.
As I peruse the list of "all stars" on this tribute cd, I see a lot of session musicians like Rudy Sarzo and modern hack jobs like Chris Jericho. That I can understand. Hell the record business is terrible these days and obviously selling yourself for rock and roll doesn't pay the bills anymore. Even bad press is press. But please, this? Really?
I would post some of the quotes of various musicians on this but they all sound like they were pulled straight from hostage statements so I'll leave it up to your ears if you feel like you can stomach it. As for this guy, this isn't worth the space I've already given it. Run, Hide but do not spend a wheat penny on this garbage. Seriously the cd packaging should be a milk carton because anyone that has anything to do with this cd surely will be missing from my Itunes library after today.
Track Listing below:
01. Thriller - Chuck Billy (TESTAMENT)
02. Man In The Mirror - Danny Worsnop (ASKING ALEXANDRIA) & Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG)
03. The Way You Make Me Feel - Angelo Moore (FISHBONE), Doug Aldrich (WHITESNAKE), & Rudy Sarzo (QUEENSRŸCHE)
04. Black Or White - Lajon Witherspoon (SEVENDUST), Bruce Kulick (ex-KISS), & Tony Franklin (THE FIRM)
05. Beat It - Priya Panda (DIEMONDS) & Ron Bumblefoot Thal (GUNS N' ROSES)
06. Billy Jean - Corey Glover (LIVING COLOUR) & Phil Campbell (MOTÖRHEAD)
07. Shake Your Body (DOWN TO THE GROUND) - Elias Soriano (NONPOINT)
08. Rock With You - Doug Pinnick (KING'S X)
09. Dirty Diana - Chris Jericho (FOZZY)
10. Bad - Paul Di'Anno (ex-IRON MAIDEN) & Craig Goldy (DIO)
11. They Don't Care About Us - ICARUS WITCH
12. Never Can Say Goodbye - Lonnie Jordan (WAR)
13. Smooth Criminal - ALIEN ANT FARM
UPDATE: This is yet another fine example of shite coming out of the CLEOPATRA label. The same label behind the QUEENSRYCHE contest debacle earlier this year. The Horror...The Horror